Choosing a pediatrician is one of the first, and most important, decisions you’ll make as a parent. A good pediatrician is important because they’re the main source of information when it comes to your child’s health.
How Do I Find a List of Pediatricians in my Area?
The American Academy of Pediatrics provides patients with a tool that allows them to search for pediatricians in the community. You can narrow your search down by city, languages spoken, medical sub-specialty and zip code.
What Questions Should I Ask Potential Pediatricians?
It’s important to ask a lot of questions when interviewing potential pediatricians. Here’s a full list of questions to ask during the interview:
- Are you board certified?
- What hospital affiliations does your practice have?
- Is your office good with returning calls?
- How many years of experience do you have?
- Where did you go to medical school?
- How do you feel about the use of antibiotics?
- Do you do same-day appointments for sick children?
- Do you accept my health insurance?
- Do you have any sub-specialties?
- If you’re unavailable, who will my child see?
- What ages of children do you treat?
- Do you have children of your own?
- What are your thoughts on vaccinations such as the flu vaccines?
Finally, many pediatric groups offer a “prenatal consult” or “getting to know us” visit for many expectant parents. This is a good opportunity to interact with the practice before choosing your pediatrician.
Contact Orange Park Pediatrics for more information or to schedule an appointment with one of our highly trained pediatricians.